[aklug] Re: xmonad

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Tue Apr 12 2011 - 07:12:28 AKDT

On 04/11/2011 10:24 PM, Jim Gribbin wrote:
> Probably before your time, sonny ;-), but Windows started out as a
> "tiling" desktop. The tiling concept didn't go over very well. 640 x 480
> screens were all the rage then and you can't get many tiles on that size
> screen, not large enough tiles to be useful anyway.
>
> I think W95 was the first one w/ your "floating" windows.
>
> Jim G
>
> On Sun, 2011-04-10 at 20:23 -0800, Christopher Howard wrote:
>> Any of you guys played around with this tiling WM before?:
>>
>> http://xmonad.org/

Really? That's interesting. So, was that 3.1 that had tiling, then?

In any case, I got xmonad installed on my work PC and my home PC. It's
pretty cool. Here's what I like about it so far:

 - Versatile but easy to remember key-bindings for adjusting the layout
of tiles.
 - Totally Xinerama aware (if you remember to build Xinerama support
in), so works great on multiple screens.
 - Several tile layout algorithms available by default, which you can
switch between anytime on a per screen and per workspace basis.
Apparently, you can load your own algorithms too, though I haven't done
that yet.
 - A tile can be pulled out of a layout and made into a floating window
Window if need be.
 - Quite stable. I guess the core WM consists of only 1200 lines of
carefully programmed Haskell.
 - There are status bars, customizable key-binding configuration, and
other stuff available if you want to get more sophisticated.

--
frigidcode.com
theologia.indicium.us