[aklug] Re: systemd - was Re: multiple distros coordinate to establish /run directory

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Apr 06 2011 - 21:12:50 AKDT

I am not trying to take sides, I am just trying to figure out what
systemd is. I need to know what it is before I can figure out where I
might stand on it.

Correct me if I am headed down the wrong path.

A "socket" is something akin to a socket in the wall that you connect to
similarly plugging an electrical cord into an electrical outlet, or an
ethernet cable into an rj59 outlet in the wall.

When I plug a standard extension cord or a lamp cord into what we
conventionally call an electrical outlet or an Ethernet cable into an
rj59 outlet, I normally expect to find 115v @ 60Hz or networking signals
(occasionally pots) from the respective sockets.

If I am following the general idea of systemd, something, not
necessarily within my control, can decide to change what is available at
the socket on the fly.

How do I connect to the socket confident that I am receiving expected
telemetry data from from Joe in ICU and that something hasn't
re-purposed the socket so that it's feeding data from the hospital's
HVAC system? I would prefer not to give Joe the "smoke test".

This is also the part of the concept that was making me uncomfortable.
It smells a lot like self modifying code. I was taught this was
something to be avoided. It was a long time ago that I was taught that,
maybe philosophies have changed over the years?

Jim G