[aklug] Re: multiple distros coordinate to establish /run directory

From: Greg Madden <gomadtroll@gci.net>
Date: Fri Apr 01 2011 - 23:02:55 AKDT

On Friday 01 April 2011 04:19:48 pm bryanm@acsalaska.net wrote:

> > I am not into Desktop Environments, but do appreciate latest versions of
> > core applications for my work. Catch 22?
>
> Greg, do you actually need Gnome or KDE running to make the
> applications work? I don't use a desktop environment either,
> but I can run programs from those projects as long as I have
> the libraries installed.

I use 'kdepim' kontact, kmail , calendaring, etc. This always worked with
Windowmaker, which I used for years. I didn't want to move to KDE4 so I am
using the Trinity KDE3.5.xx stuff, which does not work to my satisfaction on
Windowmaker. Trinity is installed into /opt, which causes some issues with
Windowmaker. I could try another light weight WM.

 I am using the Trinity KDE desktop, de-tuned to mimic Windowmaker as much as
possible, which is possible because of the (over) abundance of configuration
options. I could spend all my time playing with the DE instead of doing any real
work :-)

This may change as Trinity is actively being worked on, it has a roadmap for the
future, keeping KDE 3.5 usable.

--
Peace,
Greg