[aklug] Re: multiple distros coordinate to establish /run directory

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Thu Mar 31 2011 - 15:39:19 AKDT

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011, Greg Madden wrote:

> Apologies to all, esp Arthur. Humour doesn't play out well on the list, at least
> not my attempt.
>
> I am not liking the direction GNU/linux is headed. My perspective is user space,
> new software introduces new bugs and regressions. I don't see the point in stuff
> that once worked no longer working, or taking more time and/or resources to do.
> The KDE4 & now Gnome3 Juggernauts are good examples.
>
> I do think Gnome3 is aimed at ex Windows users. It is getting harder to keep your
> hands on the keyboard to do work, that mouse thing is taking over.
>
> I am not into Desktop Environments, but do appreciate latest versions of core
> applications for my work. Catch 22?

You have my sincerest apologies (they're graded according to quality back at
the factory) if I missed the tongue-in-cheek, bit. The whole systemd has
been gnawing at me for some time now, and I'm accustomed to being told to
"shut up and get out of the way of progress!". And, being prickly by
nature, I had the abestos underwear on and the flamethrower in hand.

My laptop being a meager 700MHz w/256MB of RAM I've recently just jumped
ship onto fluxbox. It's a tad heavier than vtwm, but it's very keyboard
friendly, and fairly configurable. I can't imagine trying to run the latest
Gnome/KDE/Unity/Whatever on that poor little thing. I'd never be able to
kick away from the bottom of my swap...

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die