[aklug] Re: multiple distros coordinate to establish /run directory

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Wed Mar 30 2011 - 21:25:31 AKDT

On Wednesday 30 March 2011, Royce Williams elucidated thus:
> Christopher Howard said, on 03/30/2011 08:30 PM:
> > On 03/30/2011 08:16 PM, Royce Williams wrote:
> >> http://lwn.net/Articles/436012/
> >>
> >> Quoting:
> >>
> >> In the past weeks key people from the Debian, Suse, Ubuntu and
> >> Fedora camps (and others, too) discussed the whole issue forth and
> >> back, to find a solution to stop the misuse of /dev before it
> >> becomes even more widespread. Various solutions have been
> >> suggested, but in the end it all boiled down to the fact that
> >> /var/run does not belong beneath /var and what we really want is a
> >> top-level directory /run, and that that is the only really clean
> >> solution. The only reason why nobody dared to actually implement
> >> such a directory was unwillingness to deal with the political
> >> backlash, especially messy discussions on mailing lists like this
> >> one.
> >>
> >> Understanding this, we came to the conclusion that we should
> >> rather implement what everybody thinks is the right technical
> >> solution, instead of evading the political backlash for it. And so
> >> we implemented this.
> >
> > "Political backlash"? From whom?
>
> Not sure. There's still some bad feelings about RedHat's systemd
> rework of the rc system, apparently, but I don't know if that's what
> they're referring to.

Probably from the people that don't like change, and by all agreeing to
it, they are avoiding the "EEEWWWW! That distro is different" backlash.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com - Fairbanks, AK
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0x73B13B6A