[aklug] Re: Windows question ... geez, sorry :(

From: Bruce Hill <bruce@slackwarebox.com>
Date: Tue Mar 22 2011 - 20:39:35 AKDT

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 10:11:17PM -0700, Peter Michael wrote:
> Facebook has malware software that checks during login if there are rogue programs trying to enter the site.. if there are it drops the login. Use a program like Malwarebytes (free editon) install it upgrade the definitions files and run a check.. I am almost certain you will find some rogue software that your programs missed. Remove it and he will be able to login to facebook with no problems.
> Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your reply. He had Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, which missed all
10 of the things that NOD32 detected; as did his avast! Free Antivirus. He
know has his own NOD32 software installed and running, but like all others
will have to "pay the piper" of diseases for social networking, such as
Facebook. They've got such a spotty history. ;)

Maybe this is the time and place to pimp NOD32 -- it was first introduced
to me by a friend who works for IBM. He is a Linux and FOSS expert, but
also has had to maintain customers with Windows systems, such as
Greenpeace International. He told me about NOD32 many years ago, and for
at least 8 years we have installed it exclusively on customer's comps. And
we have had zero infections on boxen running it. Not to mention that it's
saved them from malware and general trash in the form of "free software".

http://www.eset.com/us/home/compare-eset-to-competition

I've got nothing to gain by promoting this software, and you guys probably
all have more experience than I, so whatever you glean from their
website, or experience you want to share. My desire is to get them to run
Linux and forget all the Window$ problems; but for those who aren't ready
to switch, my pocketbook is ready, willing, and able to oblige their need
for poorly coded mess. ;)

The guy called just now and let me troubleshoot his network connection. In
all my days I've never seen so many routers need rebooting for folks to
get a connection. We only use Linksys or Cisco routers for home use, and
in over 8 years in China I recall rebooting one router once. Our hardware
never gets shut off unless there's a power failure. Hopefully soon we can
figure out what's behind all this router rebooting in the area. My money
lies on one ISP named Frontier ... it has been a common denominator in
most of the cases where we could ascertain the ISP.

Thanks for the response from this list. I'm able to reply from my laptop
because I bought service and a Verizon Wireless Fivespot (mobile broadband
3G) device today. It required launching some *.exe app to activate the
thing -- both Gentoo and Slackware Linux picked up the device, but were
missing the software to launch the app started from the *.exe; so I booted
into Windows 7 and activated it. Now the thing works simply by turning it
on and connecting. Nice idea -- from what people in this area say about
the competition, looks to me like Verizon has a good idea and promising
future. This one is made by ZTE -- the one they sell from Novatel was out
of stock, and I'm tired of being without access.

Bruce

--
May the Lamb that was slain receive the reward of His suffering!
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the