[aklug] Weird stuff you can't make up

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Thu Mar 10 2011 - 22:05:00 AKST

Three random but true facts from my technology life, too weird for fiction:

1. So far this month, my web server logged the text of 56 google search
strings that brought people to my site. With all the variety of
documents and content on my site, nevertheless 52 out of 56 search
strings were requests for information about Debian. And Debian is only
mentioned in one document on my entire website.

2. My DSL router from ACS has a built-in Busybox 'sh' shell, and a
number of other Busybox programs. Whoever programmed the router decided
not to include an 'ls' command. Nevertheless, they did choose to include
"shell expansion" functionality. Consequently, I cannot list the
contents of directories by entering 'ls'. But I can list the contents of
directories by entering 'echo *'.

3. I have been using Linux for over fours now, with decent experience in
at least three or four different distributions. I've also used OpenBSD,
Minix, and Inferno. I have an IT degree, several certifications,
programming background, and experience setting up servers. And today
(here's the punchline) my boss just informed me that it is absolutely
imperative that I become certified in Windows Vista.

--
frigidcode.com
theologia.indicium.us