[aklug] Re: Audio participation on Friday nights?

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Mar 05 2011 - 15:37:13 AKST

I seem to recall this being mentioned once before, briefly, a few years
ago. Nothing ever happened.

I think the main problem with this is reliable bandwidth, especially
upstream.

The only decent bandwidth at our current meeting place has been the
schools, but we can't count on its availability.

I usually bring along my Clearwire modem. The problem there is that
Highland Tech's building is right on the edge of a known hole in their
coverage. It has gotten better in the last year, but we still have to
place the modem outside on the sidewalk and run a cable inside. Even
doing this, I feel pretty good if I can get 75% of the bandwidth I get
at home. This coupled with Clearwire having an upstream limit of 256K
anyway.

The cellular based systems are getting to be a viable option, as far as
speed goes anyway. Cellular service at Highland Tech's location can be
iffy as well.

We were using a thumb drive type connection last night, I think it was
on AT&T. We were getting about 100KBps (more or less). We've also played
with someone's MiFi from ACS in the past. I think it was comparable. I
don't know if they're symmetrical or not. It's also $50/mo for 5GB.

Anyone ever use one of these? Cradlepoint. CTR-150 ( model no longer
seems available), but they have -300, -350, -500, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FWH0A0/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0K8AP95Z5FTSTMF61ZCC&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Just plug in a usb thumbdrive type connection from AT&T (or ACS) and you
have a wireless & wired router. b/g/ (& some versions - N).

Jim G