[aklug] Feeling masochistic again lol

From: Kurt Brendgard <brendgard@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Feb 27 2011 - 17:33:41 AKST

I picked up some thin clients and was hoping somebody knew some info on them that I can't find on the net. They are IBM Netvista model 2800 I believe, type 8364-tus.

It has a 64 meg flashcard set up as primary IDE-0, does anybody know for sure how big of one it will recognise? What little I have found suggests nothing bigget than 128 mb, which would sort of be a bit small to install an OS on.

It has a 40 pin IDE header built into the board as secondary. Does anymbody know how big of a hard drive it will recognise? My guess is 2gb, but I'm not finding much on it at all. I would have to get a smaller one I'm sure, and use one of the HD mounts that take up a PCI slot, then fabricate a power cord to plug into the square tap built into the board.

If that don't work, I might be able to use an older SATA controler card to run an e-sata enclosure. Wouldn't that be something? Lol.

What I have seen on the net suggests it will recognise up to 128 mb of RAM.

It has USB ports built in so I'm assuming it will recognise a USB hard drive. Anybody have any guesses as to whether there is a size limit on what it will see?

Is there anyway to get it to boot from a CD-ROM, floppy, USB flash drive, etc? Might need to know how to do that in order to install any OS on the thing.

Last, but not least, any suggestions on a distro I could put on it? I need a GUI. To be useful I would also need to be able to have an FTP client I can use to upload files in groups, or perhaps Samba to share an external drive. More than that would be gravy.

OK, so I'm nut. Looks like it might be a fun thing to sink my teeth into though, and it runs QUIET lol. Ain't tried much of anything yet besides boot it up to see whether it ran or not.

Thanks!