[aklug] Re: Slackware says "I told you so!"

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Sun Feb 27 2011 - 15:50:37 AKST

* Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org> [110227 15:46]:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2011, Tim Johnson wrote:
>
> > I *like* apt-get. But now slack has slapt-get. Plus, I have found
> > slack better at compiling applications.
>
> Better at compiling? What would be different besides possibly the specific
> combination of versions of binutils & gcc?

  The build tools on ubuntu seem to be behind the curve. The last
  couple of years, I've occassionally been tasked with doing some
  compiles for a open-source camera project. The code author had
  done his coding on slack and I had to use either slack or install
  slax on an SD card and do it on my netbook to be as current as he
  was. Sorry - don't recall the details. Also tried compiling the
  latest version of MC on ubuntu 10.04, again, (if I recall)
  binutils or something were older than what the latest MC called
  for.

  tj

--
Tim