[aklug] Re: Remote backup of MySQL database

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Thu Feb 24 2011 - 09:48:00 AKST

* Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com> [110223 21:13]:
> It's been a few years since I worked much with MySQL, but is there a
> handy (open-source) tool these days for remote backup of a single MySQL
> database?
  You say a database but you also say that there is not a server on
  the machine?
  OK.
  Are there mysql shared objects on that server?
  If so, are there script interpreters with APIs to the shared
  objects? Python? Perl? PHP?
  Might be that could be the solution ... yet :

> IIRC, mysqldump would do the trick, but it seems on my
> distribution that you have to install the whole bloody MySQL server just
> to get that program. Googling brought up some scripts where you do the
> dump on the remote server, and then copy the file over to your machine,
> but that is a bit less elegant than I would prefer.
  Pragmatic (sp?) trumps elegant when it comes to getting the job
  done on a one-time basis.
  Might as well stick there server on it and use mysqldump.
  Many of us can help.

  HTH

--
Tim