[aklug] Re: Remote backup of MySQL database

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Thu Feb 24 2011 - 09:27:01 AKST

On Wednesday 23 February 2011, Christopher Howard elucidated thus:
> It's been a few years since I worked much with MySQL, but is there a
> handy (open-source) tool these days for remote backup of a single
> MySQL database? IIRC, mysqldump would do the trick, but it seems on
> my distribution that you have to install the whole bloody MySQL
> server just to get that program.

What distribution are you running? On Debian/Ubuntu mysqldump is part of
the mysql-client-5.1 package, which does not require the server.

But Jeremy is right: doing it on the server, and piping it through gzip
(or bzip2) will save you a lot of bandwidth. If that's not possible,
use a compressed protocol.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com - Fairbanks, AK