[aklug] Re: Local e-mail accounts for an emergency?

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Sun Feb 20 2011 - 22:01:08 AKST

On 02/20/11 16:53, Jeremy Austin wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 4:44 PM, barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>> I like the idea generally, but it might make more sense to just =3D20
>> generate some funky domain name and then have someone manage that. =A0At =
> =3D20
>> that point, the problem becomes an issue of hosting and reliability.
>
> =85bypass these issues almost entirely, for instance, by hosting a node
> capable of running an irc channel like #aklug (present on freenode).
> In an emergency, it ought to be trivial to connect to #aklug on the
> Alaska-located server.
>
> jermudgeon

IRC was another option that came to mind, but I wasn't sure I wanted to
mention it: The downsides to IRC being 1) people have to come to the
chat room at the same time for meaningful communication to occur and 2)
you couldn't "broadcast" a message to all members of the aklug like you
could by just sending an e-mail to the list.

Addressing Jeremy's point: yes, the scenario I had in mind here assumes
/in-state/ network communication is up. That of course does not cover
situations like DNS going down, or what have you. I think as an AKLUG we
should also address these other possible problems, but at present I am
afraid the original issue will not be addressed if we broaden the focus
of this thread.

--
frigidcode.com
theologa.indicium.us