[aklug] Re: Calibre and a Kindle

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Sun Feb 20 2011 - 21:54:12 AKST

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011, barsalou wrote:

> Recently I had the great fortune of coming into possession of a V3 Kindle.
>
> Because I follow this list, I remembered that Jim had talked about Calibre.
>
> This is a great tool and works fairly well getting new information
> downloaded onto the Kindle device.
>
> I'm playing with downloading magazines and other RSS feeds at the moment.
>
> Great stuff.

I've the got ectaco jetbook, the best e-reader, bar none. :-) My big issue
with every e-reader out there has been the ability to manage a very large
library, 6,000+ titles. Heck, the RFCs alone are 4,000+ docs.

That's what makes the jetbook so nice. Simple file browser that only takes
seconds to scan a new SD card, and let's you organize it how you see fit.
Supports mobi, epub, pdf, rtf, ASCII, etc., even that Adobe DRM crap.

But, unlike the Kindle, it has no wireless or 3G, so I don't have to worry
about the nazis disabling my access to whatever I have loaded on it, or
monitoring every unprotected PDF I open up.

Great size, no crap, and unlike everything else I've tried actually allows
me to carry around a portable tech pub library, plus some recreational
reading, with no hoops to jump through. Just rsync to an SD card and pop it
in.

Plus, it's cheaper. :-)

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die