[aklug] Re: Local e-mail accounts for an emergency?

From: Jeremy Austin <jhaustin@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Feb 20 2011 - 19:03:04 AKST

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 5:03 PM, Mike Tibor <tibor@tibor.org> wrote:

> You're making the assumption that the AKLUG server wouldn't be affected b=
> the previously mentioned network failure. =A0No matter how you have it
> hosted, it's going to be vulnerable to loss of service to some degree.

I thought it was a design constraint of this scenario rather than an
assumption. If I recall correctly, it was approximately "what if the
fiber to the lower 48 gets cut." We'd still have to deal (at a
minimum) with DNS issues, assuming that one root node (Anchorage)
would be all that's available. (Heck, my primary DNS is not in AK.)

jermudgeon