[aklug] Re: RAID Silliness

From: Jeremy Austin <jhaustin@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Jan 21 2011 - 17:08:00 AKST

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 4:58 PM, CLAY SCOTT <rudeboy@gci.net> wrote:

> Two days later when it was done everything in Palimpsest shows a 6 device=
, 10TB array, but when I mount the array it still shows the same full 7.2TB=
 capacity. I'm not sure if I missed a step or what, but now I'm a little af=
raid to screw with it too much for fear of losing it completely.

> What did i forget?

Expanding the array expands the 'physical' media available to the file
system. What file system are you running? Usually file system must be
expanded as well; I've done this with md 5 + ext3. In some
implementations the partition size must first be enlarged as well.

Are you using lvm? I'm assuming you're just using md since you didn't
mention what underlying raid you're using.

Just my $.02,
jermudgeon