[aklug] RAID Silliness

From: CLAY SCOTT <rudeboy@gci.net>
Date: Fri Jan 21 2011 - 16:58:18 AKST

i set up an 8TB raid array a little over a year ago to act as a file serving backend to several XBMC machines in my house. Setup and continued use has been a breeze since it was initially set up. A few months ago the array was filled up and I've been playing a continuous game of deleting something old to make room for something new. That got old quick so I bought a 6th identical drive from Newegg to expand the array.

I got the drive Monday, powered down the machine, plugged it into the next available SATA socket and it was seen immediately by the machine. I fired up Palimpsest, selected the array, "edit components", then "expand array". I selected the newly installed drive and it set to work expanding the array... or so I thought.

Two days later when it was done everything in Palimpsest shows a 6 device, 10TB array, but when I mount the array it still shows the same full 7.2TB capacity. I'm not sure if I missed a step or what, but now I'm a little afraid to screw with it too much for fear of losing it completely.

What did i forget?

Thanks,
Clay