[aklug] Re: Home Media Server - Remote Linux Install

From: Jon Bradley <weatchu@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Jan 13 2011 - 17:47:29 AKST

I can't say anything directly to your request, but I can tell you a
bit about how I have things setup.

Basicly I took an old machine AMD Duron 1.3ghz, some ram, I think its
close to 512megs, and a Nvidia GeForce 5200FX (which is an old card)
but it has tv-out. its composite (analog stereo type connector), but
I got a free 32" crt TV off of craigslist.

So, it works pretty good, I use XBMC (http://xbmc.org/) which used to
be the Xbox Media Center, but these days doesn't really run on an Xbox
anymore as far as I understand. The distro is slackware, so I had to
compile EVERYTHING. That took a long time, and isn't easily
upgradable at all. My point I guess, is why spend that money, on a MS
supported box, when you can use any machine?

The Boxee Box looks good for something that already has linux on it,
all though it only does HDMI. I actually bought an ASUS O!play too,
but about a year ago, somebody ran off with the remote for it. That
has an 'open' telnet port, to access and change all the linux file
system, which I tried to find a way to program a generic remote for,
but it wasn't clear, like say 'lirc' would be, so this is why I got
the AMD machine together.

I believe it would work with a TV-card for cable services too, I been
without TV for a long time, so I don't miss it. Its all torrent TV
for me.

My $0.02 for you :)

Jon.

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 5:32 PM, Robbie Soares <akdrums@alaska.net> wrote:
> I am wondering if anyone on the list has installed Linux on one of the "H=
ome
> Media Server" machines. =A0I am looking at either the HP EX490 or the Ace=
> Aspire easyStore AH342-U2T2H Home Server. =A0These servers are built with=
 MS