[aklug] Bad disk...?

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Tue Jan 11 2011 - 20:08:57 AKST

My main desktop PC is a two-disk raid-1 array. The SMART Data disk
analyser tool in my Gnome desktop just gave me a warning indicating that
one of the disks is failing. However, when I looked at the details, the
only thing it shows wrong is that 55 sectors are bad and had to be
reallocated. However, I just bought the disk about two months ago. Since
sectors are only 512 bytes large (thus saith the Google), and it is a
500GB drive, I'm wondering if this is something I should take seriously,
or if it is okay to lose a few sectors here and there on a large disk.
And if this is a sign of immanent disk failure, should I immediately
take the disk out of the array?

Advice?

--
frigidcode.com