[aklug] Suggestions for POP3 and/or SMTP proxy

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Tue Jan 11 2011 - 19:50:34 AKST

So, I'm looking to configure a POP3 and SMTP proxy (for virus, and maybe
spam, scanning) on a Linux firewall. I would preferably set it up so
it is transparent. I've found this project:

http://p3scan.sourceforge.net/

But its last stable release was in 2005, last dev (3.0rc1) release was
early 2008, and its mailing list is rather dead. So, it looks
attractive, but I'm not a C expert, so would be rather hesitant going
in to this with no support. Something that seems attractive about
p3scan is that it gets the original IP address from the kernel, so you
don't have to configure lookup lists or anything like that to determine
where a user connects when they try to get their mail.

I also found this:

http://horms.net/projects/perdition/

But 1) I haven't found any reference to using it as a transparent proxy,
and 2) It's POP/IMAP only, so I'd have to set up something else for
SMTP.

Google doesn't give me much more than that.

Anyone using nginx for POP3/IMAP proxy? I've also seen references to
using it as an SMTP proxy, but nothing really clear. Hmm, there is
this: http://wiki.nginx.org/MailCoreModule but it talks about HTTP
headers in POP3/IMAP responses...confusing.

Does anyone on the list use an Open Source SMTP or POP3/IMAP proxy? Any
suggestions?

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com - Fairbanks, AK