[aklug] Re: Upgrading DDR2 RAM

From: adam bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Mon Jan 10 2011 - 07:40:40 AKST

On 01/09/2011 11:34 PM, Christopher Howard wrote:

>> http://www.amazon.com/PNY-Channel-Desktop-Modules-MD2048KD1-400/dp/B000F6KQ7G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1294648120&sr=8-2
>>
>> Or do I buy 4 of these?:
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/PNY-OPTIMA-PC3200-Desktop-MD1024SD1-400/dp/B00076ZUZM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1294648120&sr=8-3

Just a note there, Christopher - DDR != DDR2.

What you have there is DDR. The thread subject is for DDR2. Perhaps I
missed something overnight, but had you bought DDR2, you would have had
some paperweights.

On another note, in the motherboard I had that took PC3200, if I used
matching modules, it would do dual-channel, but if I did all four
sticks, dual channel, it would drop the speed of the RAM from 400 MHz to
333 MHz (And I don't know why, either.)

--
Adam