[aklug] Re: IPv6 routers and switches

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Wed Dec 22 2010 - 23:41:37 AKST

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010, Scott Carnahan wrote:

> Does anyone know a good IPv6 capable home router? I have a cisco E3000, but
> as far as I can tell it does not support the IPv6 standard (if it does let
> me know, I seem to have missed it.).
>
> Since I have time I was thinking of upgrading my in house network to one
> that was IPv6 if possible. Now that I have stabilized my domain to the point
> I am happy with it, I think this would be a good next step.

FYI: IPv6 is layer-2 compatible with IPv4, so you don't need new switches.
Older managed switches will still need an IPv4 for management purposes, but
they'll carry IPv6 traffic with no problem.

On the router side you can always use Linux as a software router. For that
matter, I'd be very surprised if one of those OpenWRT images wouldn't
support IPv6 as well.

This is essentially what I'm doing at home, running a dual-stack network
with managed infrastructure on IPv4. My old wireless AP, ethernet switches,
etc., carry the IPv6 traffic seemlessly, with a central Linux box doing the
routing for both stacks in the middle.

FYI: for those of you jumping into this, please remember that iptables is
IPv4-only. If you haven't configured ip6tables you have essentially no
firewalling at all on IPv6.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die