[aklug] Re: vme,vmx,...?

From: adam bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Fri Dec 10 2010 - 10:25:27 AKST

VMX and NX always seem to be disabled in the BIOS by default, for some
reason.

Find what processors are available for your Dell on the Dell support
site (support.dell.com, search by your service tag) and it'll tell you
what procs are in your box - or failing that, what procs are available.
You should be able to figure out what procs you have from there.

On 12/10/2010 10:06 AM, Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> On Friday 10 December 2010, Christopher Howard elucidated thus:
>
>> Okay, I know KVM needs "virtualization extensions" in the processor.
>> Some google results said I need either vmx or smx flags. However, I
>> have this real nice 32-bit Dell Precision 450, with dual Intel Xeon
>> chips (model number not listed in cpuinfo) which has a "vme" flag. Is
>> that like the 32-bit version of vmx? Or something different? I am
>> trying to figure out if I have what I need to use KVM.
>>
> According to
> http://blog.incase.de/index.php/cpu-feature-flags-and-their-meanings/
> VME is "Virtual-8086 Mode Enhancement"
>
> According to
> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/linux-tip-how-to-tell-if-your-processor-supports-vt/
> you do need VMX (Intel) or SVM (AMD).
>
> The linked article also reminds that it could be disabled in your BIOS,
> so be sure to check there too.

Adam