[aklug] Re: vme,vmx,...?

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Fri Dec 10 2010 - 10:06:29 AKST

On Friday 10 December 2010, Christopher Howard elucidated thus:
> Okay, I know KVM needs "virtualization extensions" in the processor.
> Some google results said I need either vmx or smx flags. However, I
> have this real nice 32-bit Dell Precision 450, with dual Intel Xeon
> chips (model number not listed in cpuinfo) which has a "vme" flag. Is
> that like the 32-bit version of vmx? Or something different? I am
> trying to figure out if I have what I need to use KVM.

According to
http://blog.incase.de/index.php/cpu-feature-flags-and-their-meanings/
VME is "Virtual-8086 Mode Enhancement"

According to
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/linux-tip-how-to-tell-if-your-processor-supports-vt/
you do need VMX (Intel) or SVM (AMD).

The linked article also reminds that it could be disabled in your BIOS,
so be sure to check there too.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com - Fairbanks, AK