[aklug] yet another rant: ACS - 1 for 3, better than was expecting, actually

From: Lee <lee@afabco.org>
Date: Sun Dec 05 2010 - 13:31:55 AKST

Fair warning, this is yet another patented, copyrighted, trademarked, allthosewords
technocurmudgeonly '3itch 3itch 3itch...huh, lookitthat!' comment, so feel free to skip.

So I've noticed my bandwidth has been on the low side lately, compared to what I thought
I was paying for. speedtest at the modem seems to consistently be in the 730-760 range.
 I thought I was paying for 1.5M, so when my bill came yesterday I thought I'd have a
look just to be sure.

Hm. 1M. ok, not 1.5, but still... <grumble grumble, what do those folks think they're
trying to pull again? grumble>

Strike one. Not shorting me as bad as I was thinking, but still shorting me.

So I go on the acs website...wtx???? There's a bunch of touchy feely soft feelgood
pictures in slomo...where's the meat? er, info? Obviously someone let the marketing
vermin off leash. Sigh.... Ok, where's the ...aw dagnabit...now -they've- swallowed the
javascript siren song...crap. Looks like not only are the marketing vermin off leash,
they've taken over the nuthouse.

Strike Two. I don't want or need a bunch of feelgood soft fuzzy pictures that do slow
flash. I want the information...the meat...up front. And if it's not up front, I want
it obviously easy to get to.

Grumble grumble I'm getting to old to have to deal with this ...

OK, I find the page with the DSL plans...I see there's a 3Meg plan. At the same price
I'm paying for my 1M plan! WTX??? <Check blood pressure here>. THOSE THIEVING
CORPORATE... Looks at phone bill in clenched fist. Huh...lookit that...they are just
charging me the 1M rate. Who'da thunk it? They actually did reduce the price I'm paying.

So, no strike, one for three. A corporation actually did do something sort of right,
instead of seeing what they could get away with.

Though I still want my 1M that I'm paying for.

Thanks for listening.