[aklug] Re: imaging software?

From: Christopher Howard <cmhoward@frigidcode.com>
Date: Thu Dec 02 2010 - 10:05:12 AKST

On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 06:51:43PM -0800, Kurt Brendgard wrote:
> I could probably find what I'm needing if I looked long enough, but I'm not sure where to even start, and I figured you smart peeps could save me some time by pointing me in the right direction at least. I need to figure out what software I need to be looking at to make images and copy hard drives. I used to use Ghost years ago, but the older copy I have does not recognise some of the SATA controlers I need work with to make and use images. And near as I can tell, neither does the new version, at least not when booted from it's CD. So I'm looking for something else. It would be preferable if I can download an ISO to make a bootable CD, but a floppy would also work. Any suggestions as to where to start looking?
>
> Thanks!

Oh no, you have to spend at least two hours google searching and $80 on text-books before you have the right to ask a question on a mailing list. ;)

Clonezilla is the software my boss makes us use around here, and it seems to work fine. I would think, though, that it wouldn't be very hard to make images with regular command-line tools. You just need to know 1) how to mount disks, 2) how to use dd, and 3) how to use your favorite compression program. That, the systemrescuecd, and a little scripting should give you whatever imaging solution you want.

--
Christopher Howard
frigidcode.com