[aklug] Re: imaging software?

From: Michael Figley <michaelfigley@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Dec 01 2010 - 19:29:32 AKST

--- On Wed, 12/1/10, Kurt Brendgard <brendgard@yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Kurt Brendgard <brendgard@yahoo.com>
> Subject: [aklug] imaging software?
> To: aklug@aklug.org
> Date: Wednesday, December 1, 2010, 5:51 PM
> I could probably find what I'm
%<snip>
> I need
> to figure out what software I need to be looking at to make
> images and copy hard drives.

for *nix - I like fsarchiver - available on bootable SRCD system rescue CD. Also good for windows data (NTFS, no FAT32). It might not work for windows boot drives. SRCD also has dd_rescue. And, partimage -
tho, i prefer using generic "point" tools with a NFS server.

partclone/ntfsclone for `doze ?

( i'd defrag first if using ntfs3g/prog-based tools)
( & wipe free blocks! if using dd-ish tools )

if u got the bandwidth, dd works for just about anything!

mdf