[aklug] Re: console applications resource

From: Christopher Howard <cmhoward@frigidcode.com>
Date: Mon Nov 22 2010 - 11:47:26 AKST

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 03:11:09AM -0900, Robert Crowe wrote:
> I have been intrigued by an "X-less" environment for awhile now, and I've
> been getting tuned up on mc, Alpine, vim, etc. I have this crazy goal of
> going minimal for an arbitrary block of time (like 30 days) sometime this
> winter.
> Anyway, while looking for some GUI alternatives I found this fellas
> blog<http://kmandla.wordpress.com/software/>documenting this very
> thing. This list is great! He prides himself on daily
> computing with older computers. Not saying I've been at it for awhile, but
> never knew of a spreadsheet from console. By far my favorite is Myman, :) B
>
> --
> ????! ??~??????????????
> "Listen to me! When you die in Alaska you die in real life!"
>
> "Only a fool tests the depth of the water with both feet."
> African Proverb
>
> "When in charge, ponder. When in doubt, mumble. When in trouble, delegate."
>
> I make chaos
>
> Powered by AntiX 8.5 base w/ smxi (testing/liquorix) encrypted hda Ultra
> fast and lean-never phear the Penguin ;)

Under "mplayer": was he playing a dvd video with only framebuffer support? Does that really work?

Curious for other peoples' opinions: It seem to me like claiming to live in a "graphics-less" environment, while running a bunch of programs with ncurses (and similar) interfaces, is not quite honest. You're just faking graphics with escape codes and colored characters. (Playing tetris with an ncurses interface is just silly...) To be a true purist, you'd have to do everything from the command-line. (E.g., trade out vim for ed.)

--
Christopher Howard
frigidcode.com