[aklug] Re: Port Knocking

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Mon Nov 08 2010 - 12:11:39 AKST

If you think of port knocking as a sequence (what port first, second, third) then you'll
also see that it can be encrypted.

There are some port knocking programs out there that rely on the time of day and a pre
shared key to determine the sequence.

The purpose of port knocking is to allow access to exploitable or heavily secured daemons
alike but without making it easy to scan as well as adding an extra layer of obscurity.
The added bonus is that depending on the knocking pattern certain ports can be opened up
on demand to go to certain internal hosts.

knock three times on a certain order and your IP is suddenly NAT'd to your favorite
internal servers ports.

knock in a different order and your IP is allowed access to another set of servers for a
certain duration depending on what port/ip you're knocking.

There are lots of benefits to port knocking from a sysadmins perspective. It's flavored a
little like the super floppy.. or zip drives.

- Shane