[aklug] Re: 32 vs 64 bit

From: Tim Gibney <timgibney76@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Oct 24 2010 - 21:49:58 AKDT

In a AKLUG meeting a few months ago I defended using 32-bit Linux as I found
no need to bother with 64-bit.
My opinion changed as I have a new 64-bit system here. ... my last system
was 64-bit but had 2 gigs of ram so I didn't bother.

64-bit cpu's have extra registers which hold variables on the CPU rather
than the ram. In addition, newer VM and MMX instructions speed up
virtualization, data compression and multimedia. Everything from unzipping a
folder, running tar, or creating mp3s is faster under 64 bit mode. If you
run virtual box or VMWare to run Windows or other Linux guest operating
systems then you will notice an even further speed boasts. On my system I
can not even run a 64-bit guest Linux OS without Hyper-V enabled. Databases
also use these extra CPU registers for common table IDs, columns, and rows.
Unless you just browse the web with a netbook you will notice a difference
under these tasks. I think in the future the CPU makers should focus on
putting tons and tons of registers on the CPU itself which get rid of the
ram bottleneck.

I was hesitant earlier to use a 64-bit version of Linux due to bad flash and
Java support but that problem is going away.