[aklug] Re: windoze 7 sucks

From: James Zuelow <James_Zuelow@ci.juneau.ak.us>
Date: Wed Oct 20 2010 - 11:04:47 AKDT

----Original Message----
From: aklug-bounce@aklug.org [mailto:aklug-bounce@aklug.org] On Behalf
Of jonr@destar.net Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 10:33 AM
To: aklug@aklug.org
Subject: [aklug] Re: windoze 7 sucks

> Again, there is no way out of the box to easily manage an enterprise
> with Linux. History and auditing are there I have used them and
> configured them.
>=20
> Jon
>=20

I suspect if I complained that Windows does NOT include enterprise manageme=
nt tools because a Windows 7 Home (or Starter or whatever they call it) ref=
uses to join my AD domain you'd say the characterization was unfair.

So I'll turn the tables and ask you which "Linux" are you talking about? =20

There is a huge difference between Red Hat Enterprise Linux and a Linux Fro=
m Scratch CD.

Yes, you are correct -- when you are done with the LFS CD, you won't have e=
nterprise management tools. The same goes for installing a random Ubuntu C=
D and then complaining that Samba isn't set up to join your domain, and tha=
t PAM isn't set up to allow domain logins.

But if you call Red Hat (or SuSE) and tell them "I need a turnkey system th=
at will do X and Y and Z..." they will set you up.

If you want someone else to configure this stuff for you, all you need is m=
oney.

James Z=