[aklug] Re: Do you copy, Houston?

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Tue Oct 19 2010 - 19:34:53 AKDT

Lots of people use mutt as a remote IMAP/POP3/SMTP client. I had always preferred to
deliver mail using postfix into a Maildir and keep mail in one place. This changed when I
started using Gmail and ever since then I've been using Thunderbird. For a while I used
mutt and several different imapsync systems, it became a bit too cumbersome. Oh well.

Let it be known I suppose that Mutt, being console based, is very easy to place on a mail
server or a mail retrieval system giving instant access to all messages without remote
syncing.. which probably brings a lot of you back to the pine days.

I've made attempts to hybridize (is that a word?) syncing and delivery into local caching
and delivery daemons but the process has always been a bit.. uhm.. complicated and
difficult to replicate.

- Shane