[aklug] Old Skool SED help requested

From: Jim MacDonald <jim@macdonald.org>
Date: Fri Oct 15 2010 - 18:58:47 AKDT

As many of you know I am multi-lingual when it comes to OS usage. I have =
M$ and Apple and Linux at home and I use Solaris at work.=20

I am trying to right a script that uses grep, cut and sed to pull a =
group of users out of /etc/groups to use as a basis for a while loop to =
grep their home directory and the rdist to them on a remote machine.=20

however, I am having a problem with sed that has been driving me mad for =
a couple of days.=20

If I want to do this in OSX I can do this:

grep username /etc/group |cut -d: -f4 |sed `:,:\n:g`=20

If I do it in Linux (Ubuntu, Meerkat) I can do this:

grep jim /etc/group |cut -d: -f1|sed -r 's/,/\n/g'=20

problem is I want to do it in Solaris, and not just any Solaris, Trusted =
Solaris 8. Neither variation works. Any ideas?
=20
Jim MacDonald
jim@macdonald.org