[aklug] Re: Raid "degraded"?

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Fri Oct 08 2010 - 10:46:05 AKDT

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010, Damien Hull wrote:

> Follow Arthurs instructions. Here's where I add my 2 cents. Even if
> you can add it back I would replace the drive. I don't know why but
> RAID seems to be picky about drives. If it kicked it out there might
> be a good reason it did so.
>
> You could run it until it kicks it out a second time. Assuming you
> even get to add it back.
>
> Maybe someone else with more knowledge can explain why RAID is picky.
> Just something I've noticed.

FWIW I've found that software RAID can throw errors because of power issues.
I've had perfectly good drives (drives that repeatedly survive write-pattern
tests) ejected. Putting those systems on a voltage regulator or some other
line conditioning/UPS made them much more stable. Odds are, if the drive is
going bad because of bad sectors, etc., it'll get ejected again, and it'll
need to be replaced.

I put my servers at home on APC 1750VA microprocessor-controlled multi-tap
transformers. Picked them up many years ago used for $20/ea at AK Used
Computers, and I wouldn't run without them now.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die