[aklug] Re: Oracle & Sun

From: Tim Gibney <timgibney76@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Sep 30 2010 - 08:15:43 AKDT

I do not think Larry Ellison is a bad guy. He is a business man. Sure he was
more humble and even Microsoft and Apple struggled as they had to prove
themselves before they could get more shareholder and VC money to grow to
where they are today.
Oracle is just figuring out which products are the most profitable and how
to squeeze the maximum profitability for each product. Unfortunately, giving
away free software does not fit this model. We are customers to Oracle and
not technological enthusiasts. The Java lawsuit does bother me and I do not
like the fact that an OS is tied to Oracle products. The whole idea to buy
an Oracle workstation with solaris to run PostgreSQL seems strange now and I
wonder if future licensing would make this impossible. It sucks for the
users.

Sun wanted to do more things but it seems Oracle loves its niche as a
business player and is using Sun's assets to boast these offerings.