[aklug] Re: Oracle & Sun

From: Jim <jwadell@gci.net>
Date: Wed Sep 29 2010 - 21:27:53 AKDT

I GUESS there is some advantage to being an old guy. In the 1980's we
kept Oracle alive. Larry pleaded with us to buy Oracle licenses at
$10,000 a pop, because he could not make the payroll. The office was on
Sandhill road in Palo Alto, and the default password was sandhill. Larry
had a big Mercedes, and he would take us to a nice Chinese resteant down
in PA. He loved the whole fish, fried upright and surrounded by sauce.
Jim (now James) worked for the same company I did. He was a more than
brilliant programmer, and we all thought it was cool when he got a job
with Sun.

When Larry got involved with a lady of Japanese decent (My wife was
also, and was sympathetic, which caused a rift), I supported him.

I guess I am a poor judge of character, he make a bunch more ca-ching
than I did. However, I sleep at night.