[aklug] Re: Help - Need to locate GCI IP Address

From: Bruce Hill <bruce@slackwarebox.com>
Date: Fri Sep 17 2010 - 17:33:58 AKDT

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 05:03:15PM -0800, K. Savage wrote:
> hah, I like your style Bruce. Thanks for the suggestions and info. I called
> GCI, sounds like they can only give out info to the authorities (not
> surprisingly) so I guess I'll be enhancing my police report.

Hadn't read your report that bootloader defaults to Windows and no ssh.
Bet they'll try that other choice a time or two. And unless they know
anything about it, the curiosity and lack of understanding will keep them
in that OS longer.

Probably good that CGI will *only* give it out to the authorities. Praying
for a static IP, good officer, and swift action on the part of GCI and
said occifer(s). Surely they didn't go online from any location that would
have anything to do with them ... surely it was McDonald's or the local
game room or at least an open WAP. But then, it seems that *most* theives
are incredibly stupid.

I imagine there's some script kiddie(s) who can process that IP and get a
whole lot closer than just Anchorage. That kid that someone mentioned
coming to one of the AKLUG meetings recently? He's always home and inside
on his Mom's comp ... probably learned a lot of said stuff.

Of course, your laptop's equipped with this GPS location app, too, eh?

Hope you get it back in good time and shape! Having had personal stuff
stolen, I know the feeling of vulnerability.

Might I suggest LUKS for the next laptop install? I think there's
TrueCrypt of something for Windows. I do this on my laptop so if it's
stolen they at least can't get to the data.

Bruce

--
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the
lesson afterward. But properly learned, the lesson forever changes