[aklug] Re: bash die

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Wed Sep 15 2010 - 18:21:32 AKDT

On 09/15/10 16:43, David M. Syzdek wrote:
> Make can keep variable values across commands. Here is an example which
> creates a blank file and then uses sed to replace the placeholders with
> values. I'd explain it more, but I have to run.
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 4:40 PM, Tim Gibney <timgibney76@gmail.com> wrote:

I received the Makefile because you CC'd it to me. That still doesn't
count, according to my rules, because you used all those back-slashes
and semicolons, meaning you basically put a lot of commands onto one
line, while I was talking about preserving values across /separate/
lines in the Makefile. But that does seem like a decent workaround, I'll
admit, at least as far as the variable value issue.

$ cat Makefile
# substitution routine
srcdir = .
do_subst = sed \
        -e "s,[@]NAME[@],David Syzdek,g" \
        -e 's,[@]PROGRAM[@],make,g' \
        -e 's,[@]NOUN[@],challenge,g' \
        -e "s,[@]DATE[@],$${DATE},g"
do_subst_dt = \
                echo "do_subst < ${@}.in > ${@}"; \
                mkdir -p `dirname ${@}` || exit 1; \
                ${do_subst} < $(srcdir)/${@}.in > ${@} || exit 1; \
                chmod 0644 ${@}

all: challenge-accepted.txt

challenge-accepted.txt.in:
        echo "Creating template file..."
        echo " \
        My name is @NAME@. \
        I use @PROGRAM@ for a living. \
        I accepted your @NOUN@. \
        I hope this helps around the time of @DATE@. \
        " > challenge-accepted.txt.in;

challenge-accepted.txt: challenge-accepted.txt.in
        echo "replacing template with values..."
        DATE=`date`; \
        $(do_subst_dt)

clean:
        rm -f challenge-accepted.txt