[aklug] Re: KDE 3.5.12 =Trinity, Debian Ubuntu

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Sat Aug 21 2010 - 07:28:21 AKDT

On Friday 20 August 2010, Greg Madden elucidated thus:
> Pearson computing is maintaining kde 3.5.xx for their own purposes,
> and sharing the results with others, code named trinity.
>
> I use Kontact/kmail in Lenny, I upgraded to Squeeze (it uses kde
> 4)and was able to keep using my exisitng kde 3.5 kontact files.
> Trinity is installed in /opt/trinity, executables in
> /opt/trinity/bin, add it to your path.
>
> Trinity installs along side KDE 4, both work. Trinity files in the
> home dir are in .trinity. To keep all existing setting etc, copy .kde
> to .trinity.
>
> Pearson is using/supports Ubuntu as their primary os. Not sure of the
> longer term implications, security updates, for Debian.
>
> deb
> http://ppa.quickbuild.pearsoncomputing.net/trinity/trinity-builddeps/
>ubuntu squeeze main
> deb http://ppa.quickbuild.pearsoncomputing.net/trinity/trinity/ubuntu
> squeeze main
>
> http://trinity.pearsoncomputing.net/

I've been using this for some time now, but on Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) it's
still puts all its files in ~/.kde3. When I upgrade to 10.04, I'll
have to move everything over...and change all my config paths. Not
sure why he didn't keep the .kde3 convention, other than the fact that
(from his web site), " This project is not an official continuation of
KDE3.5 by KDE e.V., which will not be creating new releases. This is an
independent fork using a largely separate developer community."

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0x73B13B6A