[aklug] Re: perl doesn't natively do booleans?????

From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@zuelow.net>
Date: Fri Aug 20 2010 - 20:52:37 AKDT

On Friday, August 20, 2010, bryanm@acsalaska.net wrote:
> On Thu, August 19, 2010 10:22 am, James Zuelow wrote:
> > jfzuelow@mis-jz-lnx:~$ ping 192.168.050.001
> > PING 192.168.050.001 (192.168.40.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
>
> Wild. Do other OSes (say, Windows) do it this way too?
>
> It would be weird if different OSes interpreted addresses in
> different ways. On the other hand, as odd as the quote above
> looks to a linux geek, I imagine it would give a Windows-head
> a major freak-out.

Yes, windows will do this too.

In fact when I ran across this I was working as tech support for a home-school
program. Parents could get a computer, and we would try to support whatever
software and/or internet connection they had at home.

In this case a user was attempting to set up a satellite connection. They had
an IP address in their documentation, but they couldn't figure out why it
wasn't working. Neither could I until they mentioned making sure all four
octets had three digits.