[aklug] Re: perl doesn't natively do booleans?????

From: Michael Fowler <michael@shoebox.net>
Date: Wed Aug 18 2010 - 15:33:35 AKDT

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 02:04:06PM -0800, Arthur Corliss wrote:
> So, in a nutshell you want to forbid *all* use of a tool just because it
> doesn't work in all situations? That's taking dogmatic adherence to
> programming philosophy a tad too far. If the tool works well in a
> particular instance, I'm going to use it.

No, I am asking Perl programmers not to misuse prototypes. This means
using them only for altering how subroutine calls are parsed, not for
validation. The bugs introduced by using them for validation outweigh
any benefit you get from compile-time checking.

One example of a misuse would be to apply them to methods, where they
are not only useless, but misleading.

--
Michael Fowler
www.shoebox.net