[aklug] Re: perl lists question, sorting, sort of.

From: Michael Fowler <michael@shoebox.net>
Date: Wed Aug 18 2010 - 15:41:48 AKDT

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 01:55:08PM -0800, Arthur Corliss wrote:
> With your level of knowledge you should either a) acknowledge that it has no
> impact on this particular regex and move on, or b) perhaps concede that some
> people may ascribe to portions of Conway's Perl Best Practices and not take
> it as a personal affront. I'm often tempted to add 'i' to it as well, I'm
> sure that would have driven you even more nuts. I may start doing it just
> as homage to you. ;-)

I'm not taking it as a personal affront, I'm telling you the code is
misleading. Misleading code means harder to maintain code.

/i would be along the same vein, surely, though in fact it is -less-
misleading, because it's more obvious what it does. /s and /m are not
obvious, many programmers get them wrong.

Truly, if you don't care about other programmers, do whatever you like.
However, programming is all about communication, not only with a
computer, but with other programmers. The best, and often only, form of
that communication is the actual code.

--
Michael Fowler
www.shoebox.net