[aklug] Re: perl lists question, sorting, sort of.

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Tue Aug 17 2010 - 20:10:36 AKDT

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, Tim Gibney wrote:

> That is alot of strange idiosyncratic babble I have ever seen to print a
> simple hosts file I.P addresses with a sort. Wouldn't python ... or even
> bash be easier? Perl scares me

:-) Just two Perl dweebs geeking out, ignore it. But you're proposing a
great challenge for the other language advocates here. Can anyone else here
come up with a python/ruby/etc example with equivalent functionality? Any
rules? No use of external (non-core) libraries?

My original post was sufficient for your original request, it just got
embellished with additional functionality. All told, I still think that
what Perl can do on the CLI is pretty flexible and impressive. Let's see
what the other languages can do!

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die