[aklug] Re: perl lists question, sorting, sort of.

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Tue Aug 17 2010 - 20:06:32 AKDT

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, Michael Fowler wrote:

> inet_aton does not return a number, it returns a packed string of four
> bytes.

It should be returning a Perl equivalent of struct in_addr_t, which is an
unsigned four byte integer in C. Odd. Probably one of those times I should
have looked at the Perl source rather than hitting the C man page.

> I don't know what that means; I have thus far avoided Perl Best
> Practices. /sm on your regex is entirely superfluous, and indicates you
> may have meant something else, which makes your intent unclear.

Not at all, it's part of more secure programming. Intent doesn't protect
you from unsafe input. It's a relatively unimportant in this code, but
overall it's a good habit to get into just to avoid unintended consequences.

> An email is a file! I don't create one liners with line breaks. When
> they get much past 300 characters I stop using the shell for it. I
> simply tested it with copy and paste.

:-) Gotcha.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die