[aklug] Re: PC vs Mac and Linux vs OSX vs Windows vs ...

From: Tim Gibney <timgibney76@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Aug 17 2010 - 08:11:26 AKDT

I wasn't trying to start a flame war. I have a similar philosophy with tools
and was just wondering which hardware platform is the most reliable and if
it is unreasonable to want +4 years out of a notebook to justify a ROI. I
guess that in itself can start a flame war.
Both operating systems can meet my needs unless MacOSX has issues running
free software like PostgreSQL, Apache, and Netbeans. I am not tied down to
any proprietary apps besides Office. I guess I am subconciously looking to
leave Windows as it is no secret most of us in this user group hate Windows.

But Windows does have its advantages if you use Microsoft's ecosystems and
.NET. If you are a business this integration is nice and MS Office does
rock. It is a great tool depending on what you use it for. I hate Windows
but not .NET and I wish MS didn't own that standard as it ... well I do not
want to start another flame war. :-)