[aklug] Re: GMAIL

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Aug 02 2010 - 14:01:37 AKDT

I have been using google apps / google mail for a couple of years. I
haven't done a whole lot with the apps, but I do use it some. I see is a
generally useful, but I'm still not comfortable putting stuff on there
that might contain confidential client information. I've never heard of
any breaches, still ...

All my @jimgribbin.com email comes through that. It's free for up to 100
addresses, but you get no support. If you go the Enterprise route, it's
something like $50/user/year and you're entitled to support. Still
competitive. It's a little tricky getting at the Apps part that way,
getting into the App is a little different than if you're using Apps
associated w/ an @gmail.com address.

I never have cared for, maybe I just haven't got it figured out, the
labels instead of folders. You can do folders, you just have to do the
folders and filters on your local mail client. The folders can be imap
and they still show if you log in and do the web based thing, but I've
never figured out how to get gmail to put stuff in folders for me.

Jim G