[aklug] Re: PVR with HDMI in -- linux or prefab

From: Lee <lee@afabco.org>
Date: Sun Aug 01 2010 - 22:55:32 AKDT

I've played around quite a bit off and on last couple of years with pvrs from mythtv of
various incarnations to (more recently) xbmc-live. The key is that whatever you get
should have nvidia's vdpau capability.

Where I finally decided to throw my money is a zotac ionitx (I forget the exact model
number I've got; it's the one with the Atom 330 and built in power supply). It works
very well with both xbmc and mythtv 0.22. I've also got a zotac zbox for a different
application, but if I get time I'll probably toy a bit with xbmc on that one too.

The downside to both of those is limited expansion; no pci or pcix slots of any sort.
They both do hdmi out, but I don't see a way to easily do HDMI in.

For pvr use, I've settled on xbmc frontends and a mythtv backend, but mythtv is not for
the faint-of-heart. There is a new kid on the backend block called tvheadend
(http://lonelycoder.com/hts/ )
that a lot of people really really like, but I have not played with it at all.

Hope this helps.