[aklug] Re: ssh-agent?

From: Ted Rathkopf <ted@rathkopf.org>
Date: Sun Aug 01 2010 - 19:45:19 AKDT

ssh-agent creates a socket that stores the private keys. The output
from ssh-agent that he cut-pasted was the environment variables to
tell his shell the information about the agent: where the socket is,
and what the pid is.

After you run the agent, you run ssh-add to store your key information
in the agent.

After this is done, when you do an ssh, it gets the key information
from the ssh-agent and passes it to the other end so you don't have to
enter it again.

If you are using X windows, it's handy to edit your .startx or
.xinitrc so that it runs ssh-agent when it starts your session
manager. Then the session manager and all future processes spawned
from it are child processes of the ssh-agent and inherit the
information about the agent, so you don't need to enter your key
information again that session once you've run ssh-add.

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 7:20 PM, Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us> wrote:

- Ted