[aklug] Re: Increase in ssh attempts

From: adam bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Sun Jul 25 2010 - 15:26:57 AKDT

On 07/25/2010 02:34 PM, Marc Grober wrote:
> Has anyone else noticed an increase in probes by exploiters, especially eff=
> orts to access systems via ssh over last few weeks?

Yes. I've also found that some script kiddies are now scanning ahead of
time to find servers with SSH running on off ports. I have SSH servers
running on off ports, and those have been located and have been used to
attempt to break into the system.

I'm about to set up fail2ban on my public systems and decrease the
filtering of my logwatch/email parser at work to include more info on
the systems trying to get in, and the users they are trying to exploit.

--
Adam