[aklug] opt-in vs spam laws regs.

From: Dale Rooney <dale.rooney@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Jul 25 2010 - 11:10:39 AKDT

     I need some help understanding what defines spam. Is it regulated be
state or federal laws or by the FCC? Where can I find those laws or
regulations and are there any interpretations online?
     The school district says that they can't let teachers send group emails
to the parents of the students in their class because even though the
parents have given their email addresses they haven't specifically opted-in
for this type of message. It would be email related to homework assignments,
classroom activities, field trips and the like.

     The information I've found online defines spam as 'commercial' messages
to people where there is no previous relationship. Is it possible that
teachers sending emails to parents is considered spamming.

Thanks
Dale